Mental Health

Years and years ago I wrote a story about a guy who always felt as if he were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I called it Born Yesterday and even though I never did anything with the story - I liked it because it summed up some of the stress I feel on a daily basis. I often think of it as I get agitated.

I was having a conversation with my wife this afternoon and she asked me if one of my co-workers was happy - I thought about saying 'who gives a shit who's happy,' but I settled on a more diplomatic answer - "Of course he's happy," I said. "I'm the happiness-maker."

I got the laugh I was looking for.

Yet, day to day, it seems as though there is so much to do and often times, I am in the wrong place at the wrong time - not that I'm dallying or not working hard enough, but there are arms grabbing from every side.

Wah, wah, wah!

We all have those problems. There is dinner to be made every day, kids that need attention, dogs that wonder why you aren't petting them, books to write, the Yankees are on, the laundry baskets are full, the bills need to be paid, the car is out of gas - get a loan and fill it up.

I make it through the crazy times by telling myself that I won't be up all night operating on a child. I don't have to dig ditches anymore. I won't be running into a burning building. In fact, at some point during this evening I will sit back with the clicker in my hand, watch Jeter line one into right, and click over to ESPN to catch the scores.

I'll playfully aggravate all those around me and I'll pet the dog, and hug the wife.

I'll do all of this and more because I wasn't born yesterday and I like the new nickname - I'm the "happiness-maker".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie