One Life

The NCAA game finished last night and the local network went straight to the news. There were two hit and runs involving drunk drivers, a murder, and a man who burned his two-year old by making him sit on the space heater.

Following a commercial break - we learned of death by fire, an assault charge, and a robbery of $280,000 worth of copper. There are no leads in the case.

Garbage in, garbage out.

I had a conversation with my sister yesterday and we discussed how a lot of people give up on life at a certain point. It seems to me that the negative aspects of it all, leads some of us down a path where resistance seems futile.

I don't want to be old and bitter about what might have been. I don't want to be aggravated by every little thing. Yet - could it be coming?

My son left a grabage bag on the ground and this morning it was torn open and the garbage was strewn about. I let him know that "squirrels got into the garbage."

"You sure it wasn't a raccoon?" my wife asked as I scolded him.
"I don't care what kind of animal it was," I answered.
"More likely a raccoon," she tried again.
"I don't care if it was a bear!" I answered. "The lesson is that the bag should have been in the bin."
"Are we having an old-married-couples argument?" My wife asked.

Exactly! There is so much negative garbage in life. So much that truly doesn't matter. Yet we seem to fixate on it. Yeah, there were hit and runs and drunk drivers last night. Yet there were also close-knit families swimming at the YMCA, and laughing together, and sharing a meal, and going to church, and just plain living.

Why can't that ever be the news? We have one life to live. We should live it out happy - all the way to the end - don't you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie