These Times They Are A Changing

A couple of days ago Bruce Springsteen endorsed Obama for president. Of course, anyone who knows me, knows that Bruce is my all-time favorite entertainer and writer. I certainly was not suprised by his stance, but truth be told, it makes me a little uncomfortable - and not because I necessarily disagree with him.

Honestly, I haven't made up my mind. Bruce's endorsement of Obama doesn't help me make it up either. Yet I am not uncomfortable with him taking a stand. He's always taken a stand. It is one of his most admirable qualities. He does have the right to take the stand too because he has earned respect through his work.

Will his backing of Obama make a difference? It didn't seem to help John Kerry. Yet Springsteen has certainly earned a voice - agree or not - he has a platform and would be cheating his audience if he didn't use it. He has been consistent in his message and if he feels compelled - so be it.

Bob Dylan was a pioneer in using his music to make a statement. Rock and Roll was always a means to protest - from Viet Nam to today.

Recently I was at a concert where Bruce expressed dissatisfaction with the policies of the current president. It evoked memories of a concert the day after Ronald Reagan was elected where Bruce also voiced concern. He hasn't changed. He grew up poor and now he's rich, but his value system seems to have remained consistent. His ideas are written in stone for anyone who has bothered to follow him.

At that concert a few months ago a woman behind me yelled for Bruce to "Shut-up and Sing."

That is what makes me uncomfortable - just like that woman - Bruce has the right to voice his opinion. If people don't want to pay to hear it, just relax, the rest of his show will more than provide you with the value you expected when you bought the ticket.

I'm biased - I respect the man's career. I also respect his write to say whatever he wants. It's a free country - and as an entertainer, it's a message he has helped to preserve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie