Nothing to Lose

A carpenter friend of mine was working on a building in downtown Buffalo. His care was parked out front, not fifty feet away from the front entrance of the new construction. As he hammered away, a man broke into his car and drove off down the street. My friend was flabbergasted - "Can you imagine being so brazen?" he asked.

Another co-worker was telling me of an insurance claim regarding the loss of copper in their building - someone broke in and ripped the place apart, stealing everything they can get their hands on.

Isn't it depressing how people act when they have nothing to lose?

Whenever I hear these stories I think of the old Bob Dylan line - "When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose."

It seems like the gap is widening. The cop who responded to the stolen car told the carpenter that he should have known better than to park his car in that neighborhood. What was the guy supposed to do?

It also seems to me that we all know the areas of town to avoid and the places where crime is a way of life. Can't we just stop it somehow? A cop on every corner?

There seems to be a sub-city where the rules of society don't apply.

Whatever, I need to give a buddy a ride home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie