Swim, Buddy, Swim

It's real hard not to appreciate the little things in life when you realize what your life might have been like had you not got lucky.

This afternoon we headed to the pool at the YMCA because Jake was going to show us that he can swim. Actually, he made a bet with his mother, and his reward was to be a new PSP game console.

Kathy had made the bet, believing that it would take Jake through the summer to get even a decent doggy-paddle down. Don't doubt the determination of a Fazzolari.

Just a couple of short weeks after the wager, Jake swam across the pool - turned around and did it again.

It's been a long time since Jake was sick. He has lived a completely healthy, happy life since the surgery scars healed. Today, as I watched him swim, an undeniable wave of happiness ran through me.

In the few short moments it took for him to get to my side after winning his bet, I ran the gamut of emotions. When he arrived at my side, he said, "Are you proud of me?"

More than you'll ever know, pal - swim, buddy, swim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie