My Boys

My three sons are so different.... one is structured and gets particulary annoyed when someone changes things up on him.... one is an absolute perfectionist who demands 100 on every test he takes. He recently missed three questions on a test, and he not only cried, he wondered if the teacher screwed it up.... The third son is unbelievably laid back. His idea of working hard is putting his shoes away at the end of the day.

They are all bright, they all have a sense of humor. They are patient, happy, secure, and get along okay. As they are all-boy however, they will get down and get mean with each other from time-to-time.

What really makes me proud, however, is that they all have learned to understand the difference between right and wrong, and they are quick to understand that if they screw up, there will be consequences. Hopefully that is a leson they won't soon forget.

Of course, there is a line in a Springsteen song that brings parenthood to the forefront - in it he says "I hope that your sins are your own."

As my wife and I raise our children, my one hope is that they get to adulthood knowing that I was behind their every effort, and that they do not end up paying for voids in my own mental stability. That's a lot to ask, really, because on a day-to-day basis, I see myself in their actions. Whether it's the temper, the passion, the need to be perfect, or the ability to relax, they all have developed some of my traits.... now if I could get one of them to write a little bit.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie