Jimmy Carter

My very first political memory was sitting with my father as Jimmy Carter battled Ronald Reagan for President in 1976. I was just 12 years old at the time, and like my parents, I was rooting hard for the peanut farmer from Georgia. I wasn't sure why - perhaps it was his Southern drawl. Maybe it was the fact that he was a peanut farmer, and I liked peanuts. More than likely, it was because he spoke well, seemed to be brillant, and declared at one point that he didn't intend to lose.

Whatever, the race for electoral votes was exciting- and to this day, I love to watch the states come in and victory ultimately declared. That didn't happen in 2000, when I tried to get my children to watch along, and I won't even begin to tell you my disappointment in that regard.

In any event, I saw a story about Jimmy Carter today. I've even read a few of his books. When I get into political arguments with my friends, his name comes up once in awhile, and I pretend that I'm not offended when someone mentions that he's in the discussion as one of the failed presidents. He couldn't have been that bad - I was 12 - and I liked him!

I have a secret - I still like him. I was right back then - he was a brilliant guy. An engineer in each and every field, a human rights advocate, a friend to the poor, and I still like peanuts, too.

The thing that strikes me most, however, is that I had a truly idealistic view of the world when Jimmy Carter ran for president. I concentrated on him because I thought he was a good man. I didn't know anything about inflation, the high gas prices of that day, or the trouble in the Middle East. I saw him simply as a well-spoken leader who could take charge, and lead this country - the greatest country in the world.

Over thirty years later, I look at the candidates assembled - as noted in an earlier post - I don't feel as though I can trust any of them. Yet, one thing hasn't changed - we need a good, smart, well-spoken leader, who can lead us through a tough economy, high gas prices, and trouble in the Middle East. I almost wondered if Jimmy Carter had a brother- but then remembered Billy Beer!

Oh yeah, a brother who made a beer - another positive in the life of Jimmy Carter.

At the end of the day, I suppose that it is all about remembering a president who got me excited about the democratic process. In the end, it's a little about paying tribute to an American, who after all was said and done, lived a wholesome life. Even his most critical of enemies has to acknowledge that - right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie