Around and Around

Isn't it amazing that there are sights, sounds, and smells that can remind you of your childhood, or a dozen years gone by? I was thinking this the other morning as I started the Sunday sauce.

Making sauce on Sunday's always brings me back to my childhood, but this week, I could almost see myself standing next to my father as he cut up the garlic and onions to get underway. This week, my boy popped out of his bedroom to tell me a wrestling story, and suddenly, I was back in time, talking non-stop to my father about the Yankees, or the Sabres, or whatever. I could almost hear my father handing me the same one word answers that I was offering little Sam - too busy to really hear the story, but too aware to know that it was an important moment.

It happens that way with songs and visions also. There are tunes that bring me back to when I was young, and dumb. Every once in awhile I'll hear an old Stones song that makes me think of being with my friends, talking endlessly about a now forgotten girl, or moment. Those are cherished moments now that I'm older and still dumb.

The past mixed with the present seems to form the future. I do hope that my children are building a bank of memories that will carry them through those moments when life seems a little slow.

My wife and I enjoy talking about the days when we first met, or the moments when the children were young. I don't think there's much danger of getting stuck in the past, because each day is about establishing a new memory or two.

Yet, I am excited to have been blessed with a memory that allows me to drift back into time, and to see my mother, or father, or grandmothers, or grandfathers teach me a little bit about life.

Around and around we go.

Comments

I have the exact same experience whenever I make sauce - dad teaching me, or grandma fuzzy's house. I now know why I make the best damn meatballs in the world. Last week, P & T helped me make it, adding the spices and stirring. Hopefully, a memory they'll cherish in 30 years.
deafjeff said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
deafjeff said…
The superbowl is coming up, which Fuzzy is making the football shaped meatballs? Some braciole wouldn't hurt either.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty