Forever Young

"May the Good Lord be with you down every road you roam, and may sunshine and happiness follow you when you're far from home."

Those words kind of brought me back today. I was going to write a blog about how it drives me nuts that people go out of their way to try and help you when you don't want any help - but I'll save that one for later. (To my best friend, Pat, I'll get to it).

The above quote from the Rod Stewart song, Forever Young, changed my mood. I was driving five hours and I called home to the report that my boy threw somewhat of a fit as he battled to win a video game. My wife, had to punish him, of course, and I found myself feeling low because I wasn't there to help. About three minutes later Rod Stewart's song came on.

The first verse hit me like a ton of bricks. No matter how much we want to shelter our kids, it is a losing battle. They are going to head down the road of life, with our gentle nudge on their back, but they are going to have to find the right path.

I not only thought of my son - who is banished from video games for a few days, but also of my parents, and the job they did with each of us. It's not easy to surrender control. How will I be able to do that someday?

"Be courageous and be brave, and in my heart you will remain, forever young."

Comments

deafjeff said…
Being a parent is hardest job I can imagine. Thankless, irritating, and 20 years from them imaging you are anything other than an idiot. But at least once a day you get a look or a word or a mannerism that is like looking in a mirror. At that moment I wouldn't trade this for anything.
No doubt! Best job in the world, being a parent... and if wishes came true, the world would be a better place because all parents wish for the same exact thing. May the good Lord be with you down every road you roam... excellent song. Poor Jake or Sam or Matt - no video game. But an awesome set of parents!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie