Thurman

About a month back, one of the guys in our 4-some sent his tee shot into the woods on the left.

“That’s a Thurman Munson,” another guy said.

“What?” I asked.

“A dead yank,” he answered.

“Whoa!” I yelled. “It was almost blasphemy! In the 45 years since the Yankees captain died in a plane crash I’d never once heard anyone say anything bad about him!

“Too soon?” He asked. 

I just flashed back immediately to that day.

I was at the little league field watching my brother Jim’s game. My Mom pulled into the parking lot, lowered the window and broke the news.

I can still picture the scene.

Mom was as upset as I was - she watched the Yankees games with us each night.

“How does that happen?” 14-year old me asked.

I worried about the backup catcher not being much of a hitter - the Yankees were 7 games back - they’d never catch Baltimore without Thurman.

At 14 years old, I had no idea what sort of life Thurman had outside of baseball. 

A wife and kids?

That’s why he was flying a plane??

Why didn’t he stay with the team???

It took a long while to get over it.

Maybe I’m not quite there.

“A dead yank.”

Wow!

May Thurman rest in peace. Forever remembered as a great Captain and player.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Suits

Mom & Ollie