Dandelions

 

That’s the basketball hoop in the backyard at my childhood home.

We played so many games on that slab and now there are dandelions growing up through the cracks in the concrete.

I can almost hear the laughter when I gaze at that photo.

Me and Jim against John and Jeff in ready-made 2 on 2’s.

Jeff and I played basketball in school. Jim could shoot but didn’t much care about running. John played full-contact basketball.

Every week he’d punch me in the stomach the first time I went up for a shot.

His reasoning being:

“He’ll think about that every time he considers shooting.”

We had endless shooting contests on that rim. My favorite spot was the far right corner - I was automatic from 18’ out.

Coincidentally I was listening to ‘Moonlight Motel’ by Springsteen where he goes back in time, hurting about a life that was lost to time.

“I pulled a bottle of Jack out of a paper bag poured a shot for me and one for you as well. Then it was one more shot, poured into the parking lot of the ‘Moonlight Motel.’”

Best part of that song and thinking back?

“It’s better to have loved.”

Yes.

It is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Suits

Mom & Ollie