Horrible Teams

Every year I start looking at the bad baseball teams, trying to figure out how many games a team needs to win to avoid losing 100.

Going 62-100 appears horrible to me and I secretly hope that teams don’t suffer that fate.

This year there’s a team that may not win 40. The Chicago White Sox have lost 21 straight, which tied the record for the longest streak ever in the American League.

Imagine being on a team that horrible.

I feel like I was!

I distinctly recall playing in a JV basketball game - we were losing by like 50.

We couldn’t do a damn thing to stop it.

I remember looking up at the scoreboard and seeing that there was like 11 minutes left.

“Make it stop!”

But we had to finish the game, and there was no big comeback.

It has to be embarrassing for all the players on that team, and lately I’ve been reading news.

“No one in here is going to quit.”

“We can’t do anything about the games we’ve lost. We have to take it one pitch at a time.”

“This is the pros. No one is going to feel sorry for us.”

“We have a lot of talent in this room. We’re going to win and get the monkey off our back and then we’re going to play good baseball.”

Uh.

No, you’re not.

We lost a whole bunch of basketball games during my JV years because we sucked.

We were a small town team playing against teams who came from bigger towns.

The season will eventually end and the White Sox may break the record and be remembered as the worst team ever.

Next year during spring training they’ll talk all about how:

“We have to put last year in the rear view. This team is going to win a lot of games.”

Yeah.

Probably not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Buddy, Dave

Suits

Mom & Ollie