“We’ll Get ‘Em Next Year”

I seriously think that the most disappointed I ever was following the end of the season was when I was about 15 or 16.

The Sabres had lost a home playoff game against the Islanders on a Bob Nystrom game in overtime. The Islanders went on to win the cup that year.

Mom had taken me and John to the game - when we returned home, Dad was still awake. He called me in to see how I was doing.

“The Sabres are better!” I said.

“There’s always next year,” Dad said. “The Sabres will win the cup some day.”

Hasn’t happened.

Bills haven’t won either.

Yankees have done it 5 times for me since then…

…so I’m better off than a lot of Buffalo fans…

…but “We’ll get them next year!” Is something I’ll hear a lot this week.

I used to go to Bills games with my buddy Kim Patterson. He would say:

“Watch the lines. Whoever wins the line battle wins the game.”

The Bills were in trouble immediately.

They got pushed all over town. 

Both sides of the ball.

A total beat down, really, and I bust my kids balls about it, but I felt badly for them.

I couldn’t even mention that they would “get them next year.”

I’ll just hang back and let them digest it all.

Might take awhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie