Three More Wins Required

Was a crazy Sunday here.

I dropped off Jake and Maggie at 9:30 - getting as close to the stadium as I could and not get caught in traffic.

Sam & Matt were already tailgating by then.

At 11:00, I drove a buddy from Syracuse to the same spot near the stadium as he headed in with his wife and daughter.

Place was becoming more of a zoo on that trip, but I made the delivery without running over any of the 10,000 people wearing their Allen or Hamlin jerseys.

It was cold!

I thought about how much someone would have to pay me to sit out there and watch. A whole lot of money!

I headed home, played ball in the backyard with Ollie and grabbed a few meatballs and a little pork out of the sauce and we caught an episode of ‘Your Honor’. It ended right at 1:00 and we clicked on the game.

More than anything else, I wanted a nap, and when the Bills rolled out to a 17-0 lead, I settled in.

Then stupid shit started to happen and it dawned on me that the game was 2 hours old and they hadn’t even made it to halftime. I’d seen 145 commercials by then.

The Bills fell behind 24-21 and I got a crazy text.

“Can you pick us up after the 3rd quarter,” Jake wrote.

“Huh?”

“Yeah. I’m over it. Would rather watch the 4th quarter at home.”

So, I headed out and was able to drive to the spot without any traffic at all.

Back to the couch.

The game was now approaching the 4-hour mark. One dumb coaching move after another. Bad play. Both teams. It dawned on me that the kids would be an absolute mess if the Bills lost.

“They can’t play like this and win it all,” Kathy said.

“Yeah. Not looking good.”

But, they pulled it out, and the post-game scramble started.

I turned on the water for the rigatoni and headed out to pick up our visitors.

Got a little too cocky!

I got too close to the stadium, and bam, just like that, I was caught up in the traffic!

Thankfully, it only took about a half an hour. 

The sauce was perfect. Meatballs too.

And while the Bills won to advance, the mood around here was a little down.

“I don’t know if they can beat the Bengals,” Jake confessed.

But, within a week everyone’s mood will pick up again and the madness will begin again.

Going to be dropping people off again next Sunday.

But the dream is alive, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie