Wrong Place

“Turn this off, please,” I said, as the news of the latest shooting was being broadcast.

“Those poor people, but same garbage coverage every time.”

Kathy switched it to a rerun of Seinfeld.

Better.

Am I’m not being insensitive to the victims of the latest mass-shooting, but I just couldn’t stand to here their loved ones beg the government to make changes so their deaths wouldn’t be in vain.

On this particular issue...

...their deaths will be in vain.

“My government won’t rest until there’s an end to violent crime,” was the official White House statement on this one.

Really?

Working tirelessly, huh?

Yet, even as Kramer and George filled the screen I thought about what my son said when he heard about the shooting:

“At least it wasn’t a school this time.”

It made me think that all of us are taking chances when we walk out the door. We could be grabbing a coffee at the convenient store and some unstable person could decide that that’s where he wants to make his statement.

We could be going about a normal day in our normal place of work...

...and then suddenly hear the pop, pop, pop.

Then someone we work with can say, “I thought it was firecrackers at first.”

Five deaths this time.

How many next time?

The fuse is burning on the time it will take until there’s another.

Thoughts and prayers and empty words won’t stop it.

(I actually don’t even believe that those offering thoughts and prayers are actually even praying! I think it’s just an automatic reaction!)

And how many blog posts have I written on this subject in the last so many years?

Way too many!

“I never believed it could happen here,” someone always says.

It can happen anywhere.

Here’s hoping that you or your loved ones aren’t caught in the wrong place at the wrong time...

...cause as tirelessly as this government says they are working to make a difference...

...we all know they aren’t.

I don’t even think they actually care.

We’re on our own.

Praying just might be the only shot we got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie