That’s It!

“Sam Fazzolari,” the principal said...

...and my youngest boy walked across the stage in his cap and gown and grabbed his diploma.

36 years after I made the same trek, my boys are all done.

Weird.

Years and years of watching them board the bus. Every once in awhile, they missed it and I drove them to school.

School plays, sports, graduation ceremonies.

Done.

And the ceremony last night wasn’t too bad...

...a few speeches.

The speakers talking about dreams, hopes, love and setting and achieving your goals.

I thought about the kids who were listening who, then years from now, will end up living in a van down by the river.

And that’s not being cynical.

Life is hard.

It’s a battle.

If I were speaking I may have told them to work hard, love harder, grieve hard, and party hard.

Just live life.

So many people don’t actually live it. They go through the motions, and just get by...

...and then they get bitter and mean.

Doesn’t have to be that way!

My boys have had a good start.

Wasn’t one of them who didn’t ‘enjoy their childhood’ as they were fond of telling me that they were doing, but I worry more for them now...

...as they get ready to make their way.

It’s a different world than the one I was heading into back in 1982. We stood for the pledge of allegiance and a rousing National Anthem, and given the news of the day...

...I thought about the America they would participate in as adults.

“You can make your dreams come true,” the valedictorian announced...

...and certainly every kid there can.

Sam can, and we will help him as much as humanly possible, but there was a tickle in the back of my mind.

Is it all really there for the taking?

Will he have a shot at enjoying his time as an adult?

“One nation, under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.”

I got stuck on that sentence.

Congrats to Sam and all the other children who are celebrating this year.

May all your dreams come true...

...even though it’s a long, hard road some days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie