Being Stupid & June the 2!

So, my son Sam is going to the prom with his one true love.

My nephew, Johnny.

It really was a no-brainer. The two of them are inseparable even though they live hundreds of miles away.

Johnny is always on the phone, usually on FaceTime.

We slowly got the plan out of them. They’d be going to the prom, hopefully behaving, and each in a suit.

“I ain’t wearing a dress,” Johnny said.

Then there were rumors of them heading to a cabin where they’d hang out with about 100 other kids.

“I don’t want them to go,” Kathy said.

“Why not?”

“‘Cause they’re stupid, and they’ll be sleeping in a tent.”

“I slept in a tent every weekend,” I said.

“But you didn’t go swimming in a creek, or a body of water that you didn’t know anything about.”

“We did. We also had a B.B. gun fight. We played hide and seek at 1 in the morning, running through the woods in the pitch dark.”

“That’s stupid, and what about you now? They go out of the house and you text them, wondering where they are. Did your parents make you call?”

“We didn’t have phones! We’d leave on Friday and come home on Sunday. We’d steal their food and leave. They were glad to have us out.”

Alas, the camping trip fell through.

The new plan was the Kendrick Lamar Show at Darien Lake on Sunday.

“I’m so relieved,” Kathy said.

“They’re gonna’ be dopes there too,” I said.

“But they won’t be camping in the woods.”

It’s not exaggeration to say that some of the best nights of my life were spent in the woods with my great friends.

All these years later...

...with phones now in our hands...

...we laugh about the times we had.

“Remember the time we were all in the creek and we swam in our underwear?” I texted my buddies Al and Jeff.

“And Al’s Dad showed up just as we were all getting out. 6 idiots in our underpants, and it was the first time Al’s Dad ever visited.”

We all shared a laugh, and I laughed a little more when I tried to figure out what Mr. DeCarlo was thinking.

To his credit, he didn’t say a word other than:

“Put some pants on, you idiots.”

So, my son and his prom date will have a great time.

I don’t need to know about ALL of the stupidity.

(Of course I know it’s June the 2! Thinking of my Dad and especially Uncle Jim. Hope your June the 2 is fantastic).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie