Happy Birthday, Sam

So, all of my children are now at least 18 years old.

That’s mind-boggling!

I must admit that I still do a lot of things for them, but to think that they’re all enough to vote!

Sam took a bit of a beating as the youngest. He’s always been willing to help and at least 10 times every day someone calls his name.

“Sam, let the dogs out“

“Sam, get me a water.”

“Sam, where’s my charger?”

Poor kid is always on call. And to be honest, up until this past year, he never complained. That stupid video game that they’re all playing now has slowed Sam’s response time.

He’s had a great year.

Villanova won a title for him. He graduated from high school. He’s downed at least a thousand chicken fries and the Yankees are in first.

Sam has always been the heartbeat of the house.

His personality is generally upbeat, and he’s kept peace by doing all the legwork.

And Sam turning 18 is a strange thing for all of us. We keep wondering what this place is going to be like in three years, or five years, or ten.

There are days now when we don’t have to make dinner because there isn’t anyone here.

What will happen when they don’t need us anymore?

Yet, no matter how old Sam gets I will recall the night when Villanova won the NCAA title in 2016.

We had watched every game together.

He had pirated the television from October through March.

“‘Nova is on!”

And there we were, watching Villanova battle North Carolina. They were up by 3 with just seconds left, and someone from North Carolina made a desperation 3.

Sam left the room. If there weren’t tears in his eyes, they were close, and as a Dad I was there...

...not able to do anything to make it better.

I couldn’t bear to see them lose. I didn’t want Sam to be upset, but that’s life, right? Disappointment will come from them. Sam will have to learn to deal with it.

Moments later, ‘Nova had the ball and it wound up in the hands of their best shooter.

We’d watch enough games together to know that the ball was going through the net...

...and that moment...

...when Sam was happy...as happy as he’d ever been...thrilled me to no end.

Sam ran from one room to the next and as he passed me, he hugged me, and we cheered.

I’ve bought him tickets, made him food, watched him succeed and I’ve watched him fail, and the 18 years have flow on by.

I’d do it all again for another 18, or 36, or 54....

...cause it’s fun to see him smile.

Happy Birthday, buddy.

Stay as long as you want...

...now get me a water!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie