Poor Melky, Poor Me

My dogs really love me.

I can’t move from a room without them following me, and they very often drive me crazy by staring me down.

They also know how to tell time, somehow, so they get highly irritated when their time to eat, or their time to go to bed is a little late.

I often try to let Melky know that it’s the weekend, and we have an extra hour before we head up.

She was a little uneasy this weekend.

Melky’s rabies shot was due. It expired earlier in the year, but she wasn’t feeling great. We debated about how to get it done, and there was a free clinic at a local community college. Melky always had a rough go at the vets as they were always a little nervous...

...and Melky gets nervous too.

Well, she wanted zero to do with the clinic. In fact, she put on a show. I got her out of the car okay, and she took a few steps towards the clinic area, but somewhere along the way, she figured it out...

...and sat down.

Melky might be 12, but she’s still as strong as a bull.

I begged, cajoled, chided, talked sweetly, raised my voice in command, and nearly cried.

Everyone walking by laughed at us.

For twenty minutes, we tried to work it out, in 90 degree heat, as dog after dog passed us, got a shot, and headed for home.

“Come on!”

“Ain’t happening.”

So, I turned her around and we headed back to the car.

On Saturday morning, we headed to the vets. I brought Paris along for emotional support, but I was still as anxious as she was.

It took us just a little more than two hours.

I’m delighted to say, she’s now in compliance!

What a racket!

The money of truth is when you stand at the desk after the examination is done because you have zero idea what the cost is going to be.

I was expecting anything from $50 to $3,000.

“You’re also picking up Paris’ medicine, correct?” The perfectly nice looking woman by the computer said.

“Am I supposed to?”

“Your wife called it in.”

“Ah!”

“So, it’ll be $60 for Melky’s exam and vaccination.”

“Not bad,” I thought.

“And $178 for Paris’ medicine.”

Lovely.

I got back in the car, feeling as if I’d been fleeced, somehow...

...again.

Melky was still shaking.

Me too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie