Howling Dogs

The sun was shining on Friday morning, and I don’t care who you are or what you do when you get to the space in time where you just have to battle through one more shift and then you’ll get a day...

...you feel better.

I got in the car and the radio was on a news channel. They were playing a clip of Rudy Giuliani and I just couldn’t take it.

I went to the 80’s station and they were playing “Hey Mickey!”

I couldn’t do that either.

I tried Classic Rock and it was Aerosmith.

Also not my favorite.

“It’s on you, Bruce.”

And I got the very first note of my all-time favorite.

“The Promised Land.”

By 7:15 in the morning I was shouting the lyric:

“The Dogs On Main Street howl cause they understand.”

Now, I’ve heard the song at least 1,000 times, but when the saxophone joins the harmonica and Bruce and Clarence play together for a couple of minutes...

...I get Bruce bumps.

Every time.

“There’s a dark cloud rising from the desert floor. I pack my bags and I’m heading straight into the storm. Going to be a twister that blows everything down that don’t have the faith to stand it’s ground. Blow away the dreams that tear you apart, blow away the dreams that break your heart.”

How can you not get pumped up???

It set the tone for the day.

And the most amazing thing about music is that it transports you back in time.

Later in the day, I heard Bob Seger do “Down On Main Street,” and I thought about living alone in Connecticut because it was a song that was coming through my speakers as I finished my book, ‘Desperation.’

I don’t know why I took note of the song I was listening to when I wrote the final page of that book, but hearing it again took me right back to that apartment.

I had a kitchen table that was made out of plywood.

The desk had been acquired from the job in New Haven. I had borrowed it.

The only other piece of furniture I had was my bed.

Milk crates held my stuff...

...which was just books and music.

I didn’t have much...

...but Seger took me right back there.

“I used to wait outside at closing time just to see her walk on past.”

Maybe the whole country needs to just shut off the news...

...and listen to some tunes.

“We can blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and broken hearted.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie