Just Plain Mean

Was chatting with my mother on Saturday morning and while we never really discussed politics much as I was growing up the conversation swung around to Donald Trump.

"Maybe I'm an old lady," Mom said, "But it seems like everyone is just plain mean now."

I laughed.

Trump has always been a little mean, that's for sure, but I like the fact that it's not lost on some people. Calling someone names isn't 'telling it like it is'...

...but it wasn't a political discussion by any means.

Just an observation.

And it brings me back to common professional courtesy.

I was sort of blown away this week by a purely selfish act by a co-worker.

But the conversation with Mom sort of reverberated.

'It seems like everyone is just plain mean now.'

And perhaps it's always been that way.

The business world is cut-throat. There's a lot of greed out there. It's a me-me-me world.

I suggested as much to my mother.

"People weren't always like that," Mom said. "I remember once when your Dad was offered another job. His boss called him in and begged him to stay, but told him that he'd understand because we had such a big family. Dad stayed with the guy even though he got less money in the long run. He was loyal."

And I don't know...

...I'm 50 and I feel cynical already.

People are mean.

How can someone tell you about the Bible and then call a country of people rapists...or call a comedian a 'big, fat slob.'

'This guy is dumb'. 'That guy is a moron.'

Mean, mean, mean.

We have people shooting cops in the back.

Men shooting people on camera.

And then the message boards filled with hate back and forth:

Libtard.

Redneck.

Communist.

And worse...much worse...

The comments sections on any subject, any time of the day...are filled with hatred...

...and people being mean.

"I'm happy that I lived in the generation I did," Mom said. "People are just horrible to each other now."

"And they do it in the Name of God," I said.

Mom laughed.

"I guess I just don't understand," she said.

Me neither.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty