18 Again - Jake's Grad Party

Had a dream last week and the presence of some people in it made me realize that I'd been dreaming about 'younger Clifford' - the guy who was about 18 years old.

When I woke from the dream I recalled little bits and pieces of the people from the dream and realized...

...man...

...I was a little dope.

But cut to Friday evening.

My beautiful wife was the only one home with me and we spent the evening watching the Yankees.

The boys were at the Bills pre-season game (which is a little like watching gym class) but we had no mind to take advantage of their being gone.

18 was a long time ago...we were tired from the work week.

Jake, who is 18, had enough good sense to leave the game around halftime and he joined us for the conclusion of the Yankee game.

He showed us clips on his phone featuring a flashy NBA Player.

We got to talking about great moments in sports.

I mentioned Canseco hitting the Hard Rock restaurant at the Sky Dome.

He mentioned Jerry West sinking a three-quarters length shot in the 1970 NBA Finals.

"Tied the score at 104," I think. "West turned to Clyde Frazier and said 'Good D.'"

"You remember it?" Jake asked.

"I was watching it with my Dad," I said. "I remember asking what happened. I was 5. Dad said 'It went in.'"

Jake laughed.

On the screen the Yankees took the lead on a truly epic Carlos Beltran 3-run blast.

Jake, who is not a Yankee fan, hung right in there.

"Beltran is clutch," He said.

We just sat there, trading moments, both agreeing that Mantle's beyond 600-feet home runs are the greatest feats in sports history.

We hit on the fact that his graduation party was set for Saturday and the friends who he'd have over.

(Friends who will appear in his dreams in about 32 years).

"They'll all behave," he said, guessing my next sentence.

The game went to the bottom of the 9th.

2 outs.

2 on.

One-run difference.

Miller for the Yankees versus Tulo for the Jays.

"I don't need this stress," I mentioned during the 12-pitch at-bat.

Miller struck Tulo out...

...finally.

"Yeah, but it's cool when it all works out," Jake said.

It is.

It truly is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty