This Is Buffalo?


There was a moment on Wednesday afternoon when I stood in the center of one construction site and spun in a three-quarter circle and caught glimpses of at least five construction sites.

Holy shit, I thought. Am I in Buffalo?

And I know I am because I visit at least 8 sites every single day, and it's been that way for over 6 months now.

We're playing like a big city.

And it's good to see because the union halls are empty. The open shop contractors are busy. There are cranes all over the freaking place, and the buildings are going up.

I've worked in the construction field all of my adult life. I started by pouring concrete and jack-hammering concrete. Through the years I've felt extremely comfortable wearing a hard hat and having profanity-laced conversations with guys who work really hard.

And climb really high.

And burn the hell up in the summer and freeze their asses off in the winter.

Guys who eat off the roach coach and go to the bathroom in a filthy box that is shared with 50 or 100 other guys.

And everyone is working now.

Of course, it will be wonderful when it's all built and other people can visit the buildings that have taken months and months to put together.

I probably won't even walk into the places again. Lord knows I won't step foot into the Ralph when this round of county money is spent.

I probably won't visit there again until they tear it down so they can buy a new place.

(The NFL doesn't pay taxes or cheerleaders).

Yet you wonder.

Is Buffalo making strides?

Just go down to where the Aud was and spin in a circle.

You'll see a lot of hard working guys...

...doing their best to make someone else rich.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie