Out to Stud

I don't know much about the horse racing game. My buddies have dragged me to betting on the races every once in awhile, but I never won much.

Before the Derby one such pal sent me a text asking me if I'd like to bet with him. He just knew that California Chrome was going to win.

I like a good bet.

"I'm in," I texted back.

A little while later he told me we won.

We didn't bother to let it ride on the second race that might determine the Triple Crown.

We forgot.

But there's one more leg, right...before the unlikely horse captures the Triple Crown.

"When's the next race?" I asked.

"I have no idea."

So there we are.

Yet I also heard something else about California Chrome.

If he wins the Triple Crown he will be a true target. People from all over the world will pay thousands and thousands of dollars for his offspring.

How do I get in on that deal?

I have some pretty good kids.

Can I go out to stud?

They say that they prance the attractive horse chicks around to get him excited before he does the deed with the ones that they bring to him.

That's kind of cool, right?

Sort of cruel as well.

But I'm thinking it's a pretty decent way to earn some special money and spend the old retirement days.

Does the horse get sick of that task?

Here's hoping he wins so that he can enjoy those special moments, again and again and again.

Here's hoping that we place the bet.

I gotta' find out more about being a human stud.

Seems like a good gig.

Comments

carol wittmeyer said…
Cliff - It was so wonderful to see you represent your family at what was truly a special event.

"Gow United" is something I now understand. One of my Bona colleagues provides psychological consultation there and I know it was one of his favorite projects. Now I know why.

When I saw you on the stage, I saw your Dad and knew he was in attendance.

I saw mothers crying when their children won honors that they knew were major milestones that probably years ago seemed out of reach. The investment and sacrifice of sending sons away to boarding school (and now girls to day school) all now worth it. The future is whatever they want it to be thanks to hard and disciplined work in the right environment.

I told Gail that the first alumnus introduced is now a student at SMU. There are always connections everywhere you turn.

What I liked the most, was realizing that Jeff had found his calling at Gow. They were his extended family. The young men - especially those being honored for head wait staff - were obviously mentored by him and surely he helped them gain confidence, a sense of humor and the ability to imagine what life could be for them. Surely nothing can hold them back. The fact that the awards themselves were silver platters were also reminders of Jeff's important calling.

The Dining Hall was beautiful, it must have been so fun for Jeff to imagine what it would be and to be able to have input to get it just right. Jeff's plaque will be a constant reminder of his legacy there. It reminded me of how eating is such a family affair, especially if you are a Fuzzy. Those young men that lived on the campus during Jeff's service there, had a second dining room and an Executive Chef who shared his gifts with them. What lucky young men.

It was a great day. I plan to attend every year I'm around! I'll buy a drink for everyone who can come and we'll toast Jeff's life and legacy and all the successes of the young starry eyed students being honored. (And the crying moms.)

Carol

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie