Gow School Awards Ceremony

It's a true honor that the Gow School bestows in Jeff's memory each and every year. This year two students, Todd Smith and Joseph Cendrowski were honored for showing a 'positive attitude and humor, no matter the circumstance'.

It's the perfect award to be presented to honor Jeff.


I was honored to present the award and unlike other years I was composed and ready to enjoy the other awards that were presented and shake the hands of the staff. They are beautiful people who enjoyed seeing Jeff each day. As I made my way to the stage a young man approached:

"Mr. Fazzolari, can I have a moment?" he asked.

He then proceeded to tell me that Jeff was one of the first people he met at the Gow School.

"I was in the 8th grade then. I'm graduating this year. I've missed him every single day."

"Me too," I said.

"And I thank you for writing the book. I've read it about 7 times."

We hugged.


I presented the award and scanned the crowd as they listened. There is no way to express the gratitude I felt as I gazed out at their smiling faces.


Joseph posed for the photo as my beautiful cousin, Carol snapped the picture.

(I'm a handsome bastard).

More than anything else Carol wanted to see the plaque by the kitchen. We headed over.


As I headed away I sat behind the wheel thinking and talking to my bro.

"Did you hear us?" the voice in my head asked.

I stopped at the Mobil Station just down the road from the school. I looked to the sky, hoping for a sign. Then I thought about perhaps finding a wheat penny with my change from buying my can of Copenhagen.


No such luck.

"That's okay," I thought. "I think you heard us."

I picked up the can of snuff.


I saw it as a bit of a sign.

The expiration date is June 22nd.

Jeff's birthday.

Coincidence?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie