Just A Kiss

ESPN went all in on the Michael Sam reaction to being drafted in the NFL.

As I've said many times before, I don't think it's much of an issue. Sam seems like a fine young man and he is a talented football player as he was drafted.

I wasn't drafted. I'm an unsigned free agent, by the way, free to the highest bidder.

Yet the replay of Sam's reaction was played all over the place, including the kiss he shared with his partner as they both cried.

And you know what?

I cringed a little.

And I felt a little bad about doing it, but as I thought about it a bit more it began to make sense to me.

When Blake Bortles kisses his girlfriend I'm okay with that because his girlfriend is a very attractive female and I happen to know what it's like to kiss an attractive female.

Why wouldn't I cringe when I see a man kiss a man?

And I don't feel bad about the fact that I cringed.

I think it's going to take more for some of us to get used to seeing such demonstrations of gay love.

Maybe that is one of the very societal barriers that Sam will attack.

I don't know when I'll ever feel comfortable with it, and that's not to say that he can't live his life anyway he pleases.

I'm not his judge.

But it was cringe-worthy for me and I'm sure a number of others, because we have never seen such a thing.

ESPN made sure that everyone saw it, by the way.

I do wish Sam luck in his life and in his bid to make the team. I think it is an important barrier to break down, but I also read something a little while ago that surprised me:

Less than 10% of the population is gay.

That seemed mind-boggling to me because there are a lot of gay characters in movies, on television, and in the news.

90% of the population isn't gay.

And while hatred is not okay in any form...

...there may be a transition period necessary...

so we all get used to it in every day society.

After all, it was just a kiss between two people who have chosen to share their love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie