The Right Move

The New England Patriots cut Aaron Hernandez on Wednesday.

They didn't wait for the murder charges to be levied. They didn't stand by him at the press conference and tell the world that he's innocent until proven guilty. They didn't make mention of how they would reserve judgement until all the information was in.

They dumped his sorry ass.

And I suppose that I'm supposed to be politically correct, and here in Buffalo I'm supposed to hate the Patriots, but I really don't.

I like that they treat their millionaire stars like they do.

How can you preach team concept when someone on the team is upsetting the balance?

A bunch of years ago they had a player, Lawyer Milloy who held out in an effort to renegotiate his contract. Milloy was a Pro-Bowl player.

He believed he deserved a raise over the pay that he had originally agreed to receive.

So he marched in the office and made his demands.

They cut him.

I loved the story.

Right up until the Bills signed him.

Everyone in Buffalo laughed when the Bills pounded the Patriots in the season opener. I think it was like 34-0.

The people around the league killed the Patriots for the move.

But they developed the team over the course of the season.

The last game of the year they played the Bills, and beat them. I think that score was 34-0.

Then they won the Super Bowl.

I was thrilled when they just cut Hernandez loose.

Later in the afternoon I was watching Hernandez as he stood before the judge and listened to the charges. He had a smug look on his face.

And I was dumb-founded by it all.

The guy had it all.

Good player. Big money. Big house. Bright future.

And he took out a gun and allegedly murdered another man?????

How do you get in such a situation?

Then to top it off all the news people talked about how he was a ticking time bomb out of college. People were surprised that the Patriots gave him a chance.

They won't be giving him his second chance.

And as the court proceedings ended I got a little sick to my stomach.

There's a team out there right now wondering if they can fit him in if he somehow gets off.

Please God, don't let it be Buffalo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie