Are We Too Sensitive?

You can't stay clear of the Paula Deen story, can you?

Supposedly she uttered the magic n-word once in her life, and she admitted it during a deposition.

She was fired.

She has been skewered in the media. I've listened to her cry and apologize and absolutely butcher the old Popeye theme.

"I is what I is," she said.

Bad grammar aside I'm not quite sure if what she did was all that offensive.

Once in her life she uttered something racist?

I'm not sure how many people could lay claim to the fact that they have never said something that might be considered ridiculous when we think of it in rational terms.

Have you ever been so angry or so upset that you've said something that you didn't mean?

Of course you have.

Have you ever called someone something so offensive that you wonder about your own sanity when it was repeated to you?

I swear to God one of the funniest shows I've ever seen was a half-hour show by the comedian Louis C.K. It was the old HBO Show Louie.

In the show he is in a pretty good argument with his wife and he utters the one killer word.

It starts with C.

The wife is horrified and the rest of the episode she gives him the absolute silent treatment as he tries to explain it all away. He buys flowers, makes dinner and apologizes profusely.

She still will not give in. She has been hurt deeply.

The last scene shows him sitting at the kitchen table talking to the closed bedroom door.

He starts by apologizing again.

Then he works himself into a frenzy telling her about all of the names she has called him through the years.

When the door still doesn't open he gets mad once more.

He yells out to her.

"You are a &*%T!"

The moral of the story being that we all say things that we regret. We wish we can take it all back because it doesn't reflect what is truly in our heart.

But in this day and age we are a tad over-sensitive.

I've never seen Paula's cooking show.

I don't know if she truly is a racist.

I just think someone should cut her a bit of a break.

She is what she is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie