God Bless Jim Kelly

I give a lot of my friends and family a really hard time about being fans of the Bills and Sabres.

I do it because they really, really tie their emotions to it and I sort of like being on the other side of any issue. I'm sure that I've infuriated a whole bunch of people.

I thrive on that.

Yet I've always been a tremendous fan of all the sports. I watch the Bills and the Sabres still. I know of all of their moves. I get frustrated with their lack of direction because it shouldn't take 20 years to rebuild anything.

But where I get really misty about all of it is when I think of the Bills in the early 90's.

They went to, and lost 4 straight Super Bowls.

There certainly is some angst involved, but a lot of pride too, and one of the things that really fired me up back then was when someone picked on Jim Kelly.

He was great. Hall-of-Famer. He doesn't need me to defend his play.

Yet Kelly and Mattingly retired the same year. I remember thinking that my childhood was over because as an adult I wouldn't have such hero-worship anymore.

And that has been true.

Yesterday they announced that Jim has cancer.

Now it's a little strange because I've met Jim quite a few times through the years. He threw passes to my kids - who all dropped 'em - I'm friends with his wife, Jill, who is one of the best human beings I've ever met. Jill wrote a wonderful foreword to my book House of Miracles and she made me look a lot better when we hit the pages of the Buffalo News.

They have a wonderful family.

When Jeff was sick, Jill was there for me. When it didn't work out so well, Jill made sure I had a number of books that could help me through.

I sent Jill a note yesterday, and she responded in her usual faith-filled manner.

There will be a lot of people who said well-wishes to the Kelly family.

They've seen so much and been through some real tragedy.

Here's hoping that God Will Bless them through this battle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty