What's the Ceiling?

The Rolling Stones are hitting the road this year. Just a few cities throughout North America. They are truly old-time rockers, however, so a 50-city tour was probably out of the question.

I've seen the Stones twice.

Back in 1981 the played Rich Stadium with George Thorogood and Journey. The were promoting the Tattoo You record and that may have been at my absolute height of frenzy for them.

They were considered old back then.

Jagger was amazing. Richards was so cool. They played Tumbling Dice. I can clearly see the moment when the first note was struck. Under my Thumb as the first song was also a true highlight.

I don't even think my buddy John was reading his novel during that song.

I still have the ticket stub.

It cost me $15 to get in. I don't think I paid much more than $50 when I saw them back in the late 80's.

The ticket prices for this tour are starting at $500.

The good seats will cost about two grand.

Do I sound old now?

Like when your Dad used to tell you about getting an ice cream for a nickel?

Back in 1991 I spent a lot of time at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore watching the Orioles play to a last place finish.

We paid $4 for a seat.

I just paid $100 for my son to go down to the arena to watch the equally pitiful Sabres play.

How much will the fans pay?

Will there ever be a cap, or will we just keep putting the tickets on our credit cards so guys can pull down $180 million dollar six-year contracts?

Justin Verlander of the Tigers just signed a new deal for that $180 million dollar figure.

"He deserves every penny," one of the announcers said.

Does he?

Really?

He throws a ball.

And before you jump at me telling me that guys on the Yankees make a lot of money too, and that Uncle George may have started the salary escalation, I get that, and I don't begrudge any of them.

Not Verlander.

Not Tom Cruise.

Not Mick and Keith.

The money is out there. People are willing to pay.

Not me.

Maybe once a year.

Not for two grand. Sorry, Mick.

I'd rather read a novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty