Endless Nothing In Between



I spent the first three days of the week traveling to Omaha, Nebraska, working in Omaha, Nebraska and then traveling back from Omaha, Nebraska.

It's not as glamorous as it sounds.

Flying in was weird as the plane broke the clouds and the outline of life below was there for review. It always looks weird from up high, and especially in Nebraska. There seems to be miles and miles and miles and miles of endless nothing.

A house, a barn, a field, the roads like little lines, and miles and miles before the setup is repeated again. I always try to think about the people that live in those houses and the way they spend their days. I was in the middle of imagining their lives when the guy seated next to me peered over my shoulder and said:

"Not much going on, huh?"

"Looks peaceful from here," I said.

And after last week it was nice to think of peaceful a little.

The photo that leads the blog is a typical view of Nebraska.

There are a lot of strip malls. The buildings are smaller.

Than even Buffalo!

The people are friendly. The guys on the construction sites make the same mistakes as the guys in Western New York. They are also funny and honest and sarcastic and mean.

I often think of the in between times.

There's a lot of endless nothing in between the big days of our lives.

There are often a lot of miles in between here and where we think we want to be.

A lot of endless space between what we think should be happening and what is.

And there's angst.

Life would be better if only...

Things would sure be easier if...

We don't always grasp where we are when we are there.

I had a big steak. I talked a bit to the waitress who was fascinated to see someone from Buffalo although I think she thought I should be in heavier clothing.

"All it does is snow there, right?"

Wrong.

There's often a wide gap between what we believe to be true and what is actually true.

A good trip.

I enjoyed the nothingness of it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie