Let Her Play

Brittney Griner is a basketball player who just finished up her career at Baylor.

Have you seen her?

She's 6'8" tall and she scores at will when she plays against the gals. Her team was shut down though in the NCAA Tourney and her college career is now over.

She's thinking of going pro.

Dallas Mavericks owner, Mark Cuban, said that he might draft her to play in the NBA - an all-men's league.

"She'll get killed!" A lot of people are screaming.

"She's got a small frame compared to the men, and there isn't a guy in the world who wants to be dunked on by a woman. They'll put her on her ass."

All of those points are true, I imagine.

I am apt to keep my mouth shut, however.

You see, and it's a pretty famous story, I knew an All-American player from West Virginia. She stood less than 5'6" tall. I was actually still in decent shape. We played a one-on-one when I was just 27 years old.

Rosemary beat me 21-16. If I tried to guard her close she whizzed by me. If I played off, she drilled 25-footers.

It wasn't until weeks later that I found out she was third in the nation in scoring.

During the time in between I certainly felt old.

"You got beat by a girl," my old college roommate told me.

"She'd beat you too," I said.

"No, she won't," he said. "I'm not dumb enough to play her."

And therein lies the problem.

Sometimes all it really boils down to is that men don't want to include women because they are afraid that the beat down will make them look worse.

I'm not sure Brittney Griner can make it against the genetic freaks who play in the NBA, but it would be fun to see her try.

Where the hell would she shower?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie