Grandparents

So we caught the movie Parental Guidance with Billy Crystal, Bette Midler and one of the women who's always looked good to me - Marisa Torme.

It was way better than the usual romantic comedy crap I'm normally fed.

Anywhoha...

I've always liked Billy Crystal, and he's a big fan of baseball in general and the 27-Time World Champion Greatest Franchise in the History of Organized Sports, the New York Yankees, in specific. There was some baseball in the movie, but it was more about family.

And old generation versus the new generation.

One of the reasons I liked it is because it got me thinking about the future a little, and spending time with grand kids someday.

Isn't that weird?

Yet my buddy Jeff just became a grandpa so maybe someday, right?

Not sure my hoodlums got it in 'em and I'm hoping it's a ways off in the distance, but the movie started with Billy Crystal sort of being the reluctant grandpa.

"That's gonna' be me," I said. "Go to the party, eat, and get the hell out of there," I said.

I know that my wife will be a doting grandmother. She won't miss one of those kids games, or school plays or dance recitals.

It's gonna' be sheer torture.

But as the movie went along I couldn't stay real frosty to the idea of being around new kids.

I drive my present kids crazy with the talk of the old games.

"And Reggie got back to the dugout and held up two fingers. Then he came up in the 7th and the first pitch he saw from Charlie Hough he hit into the black. 4 World Series pitches. 4 swings. 4 Home Runs. He hit one his last at-bat of Game 5."

"We know!" Sam yells.

"You were here in 1977?" Jake asks.

Can you imagine what the grand kids say when I tell them that my Mom made us sit in front of the television when man walked on the moon for the first time.

I remember that too.

And the movie was filled with trust and love and respect and families and generations and baseball and kick the can.

Good, clean fun after a rather rough sort of week of thinking about too many dog crap things.

It sure beat the hell out of wondering how Jennifer Aniston or Charlize Theron can finally bag a guy who's afraid of commitment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie