The Handsome Groom and His Bride...

...Step into the long black limousine for their mystery ride.

We all went to a great wedding on Saturday night. My nephew Ryan married his longtime love Katie.

Two great kids. A tremendous, classy party. There was good food, fine drink and a lot of dancing.

Despite my obvious talents in the field of dancing I sat out the evening festivities. My replacements were out on the dance floor though and they kept my beautiful wife happy.

Damn, Sam can move!

I'm not kidding, either. He has style and grace and he can keep a beat to the music.

The wedding atmosphere is kind of funny too because the music comes on, the women shriek and run out there, and the men try to hide.

"Ah shit, here comes my wife," one of the men standing near the bar said. The rest of us laughed at him.

"It's GREASE!!!!" she cried out when she got closer.

"Save me," the guy muttered as his hand was yanked towards the floor.

For the next five minutes the rest of us watched him.

"Poor bastard," one of them said.

And the entire wedding thing strikes you kind of funny, doesn't it?

The priest had explained the concept of love by telling us about the couples that don't make it through the years as man and wife. He told the story of marriage through the eyes of divorce.

It wasn't that it was a bad talk. It's just that it's different now.

I ran into my father-in-law. He's been married for better than 50 years. He told me the story about trading his car for the engagement ring and twenty-five bucks.

"I didn't really intend on marrying her. I was just sort of giving her the ring so we'd be a little closer. I thought I'd make her happy for six months and then somehow talk my way out of it. When the priest told me we were married I kept thinking, 'This just can't be happening.'"

As he summarized the story my mother-in-law put her purse down in front of him.

"Watch this," she said. "And don't just get up and leave it here!"

My father-in-law turned to me.

"I should've kept my car."

We laughed for a good long time.

We watched my nephew dance with his wonderful bride. My beautiful wife was spinning in a circle with Matt, Jake and Sam all dancing around her. The poor husband was still trying to smile through the singing of Olivia-Newton John and that gay guy who likes male messages.

"It's all kind of weird," I said.

"You got that right," my father-in-law said. "Weird as shit."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie