Marilyn, Hoffa, Frank & the Kennedy's

I am all sorts of interested in past history. I am especially enamored by bad behavior by big stars.

About a week ago I picked up a book about Marilyn Monroe. I had heard the stories of her death, of course, and I'd seen all the stunning photos of her. I always figured it was a shame, right?

The book is called Bye, Bye Baby and it's written by a guy named Max Allen Collins. He uses a unique writing style by putting a private eye on the scene as a fiction character in the middle of a non-fiction story.

Love the idea.

I am really enjoying the book too because the character is dealing with all of the characters. Peter Lawford, Frank, DiMaggio, Dean Martin, Hoffa, Robert and JFK.

Well done.

Yet what gets me about it is that Marilyn is also very much alive in the beginning of the story, and Collins really sort of captures her as a beautiful, confused woman.

He captures her so well that I find that I'm rooting for her even though I thought I knew what happened.

She killed herself, right?

Wrong.

Accidental overdose, right?

Uh, wrong.

And what is cool about it is that since I've started reading about it I've gone to people who remember the story. My mother filled me in on some of the details and my father-in-law also chipped in with his opinion.

And man, my opinion of some of the stars that I really admired has sort of shifted. They talk of Frank and Joltin' Joe.

My heart sank a bit when the alleged battery, at the hands of Joe D. was mentioned.

My heart sank even further when it became apparent to me that the Kennedy's may have had more than a little to do with the "suicide" or the "accidental overdose".

It's really a great read, folks.

The mob.

Hoffa.

All of it.

A simpler time is what we believe.

Maybe that was more fiction than non-fiction.

By the way, aren't they digging up Hoffa's body this week?

We didn't start the fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie