Valentine's Day


A guy told me today that he spent $85 on flowers for his girlfriend.

"That's one of the differences between having a girlfriend and a wife," I told him. "If I spent $85 for flowers for my wife today she'd be pissed."

In fact, Valentine's Day is in the rearview mirror and all we exchanged on the deal were text messages.

Good enough.

The $85 could be spent better. Like on the freaking kids, right?

And I was never much of the old romantic type. I always cringe at the end of the romantic comedies when the guy makes the final grand gesture that will ensure eternal bliss with the woman who is his everything.

Cause life very rarely works out that way.

It takes more than the grand gesture to get things done.

I tell you the things I like:

Opening the dishwasher and seeing that someone emptied it before you had the chance.

Going down to switch the laundry and seeing it's already been done.

Hearing the dogs come charging up the stairs because someone let them in.

Having your electric blanket turned on for you an hour before bed.

None of those things cost $85 bucks.

There weren't any flowers delivered on Valentine's Day. No candy. No gold.

Just old-fashioned consideration exchanged as it is on a daily basis.

That's good enough for me.

In fact, some would say I got really, really lucky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty