Just a Little Boy


Isn't it weird what you dream sometimes?

Last night I had a couple of strange ones. The first of which made my skin crawl in the real world.

About ten years ago I lost a friend of mine to brain cancer. She was actually the bartender at the bar where I grew up (sort of). She was a gruff, sarcastic, wonderful woman who got sick and never got better. I was crushed by her loss. A lot of why I grieved her was because of her two sons who were good guys, and her husband, who now had to go it alone.

I lost touch with all over the last year.

That's why last night's first dream was so profound. I saw her in good health, behind the bar, wearing a huge smile as she greeted me. It was as if she were outside the dream, though, and standing in my bedroom. She was at her sarcastic best.

In the morning, I texted her son. Here is the exchange. Now mind you, it's been at least a year since I spoke to him, and ten years since she passed.

Me: Yo, dude. How are you? I had a dream about your mother last night. She looked great! She busted my balls.

Him: Get the hell out of here! Do you know what today is?

Me: February 23rd????

Him: Yeah, her birthday! Wow!

After that first dream I got up and got a drink of water. Not sure what I ate for dinner, but the 2nd dream was also vivid.

It was a dream of me in my bed as a 47-year-old man but in the body of a little boy.

That one didn't provide much insight as I went through my next day, but I thought about it a bit.

We don't really change all that much as we age. Some of the very things I felt worried about as a child still worry me today. There is maturity, sure, but those core fears are still with us. Those core beliefs are only strengthened by time.

And I thought of my boys and how they are developing. How they've seen, as their example, a healthy relationship between a man and a woman. A set of parents who work hard, hold the abuses of themselves to a minimum, and cherish their own family.

I wondered if my boys had fears of separation and dreams of loss. As a Dad I wanted to stop it, of course, but I can't. They will carry burdens. They will face the fears as grown men. There will be days when they still feel like a defenseless child.I hope they have enough in reserve to beat back the demons of life.

Sometimes it doesn't even pay to go to sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie