Jose Can You See


Just got done reading the news article about the mother and grandmother that made the 3rd grade girl run until they told her to stop as punishment for eating candy without asking. The kid died after having seizures.

Mom and Grandma are up on murder charges.

There are always stories like this.

I remember the poor kid that lived with his abusive mother and father in the apartment below where I lived in New Haven, Connecticut. Jose was about seven years old in 1988. He's pushing 30 now if he made it. I hope he treats his kids better than his Dad treated him.

You see, Jose's Dad liked to get high and scream. I'll never forget the day he was screaming at Jose to help him out. This is a direct quote, so don't get mad at me.

"Hey you little fucking faggot, go in the house and get my joint out of the ashtray!"

Jose retrieved it for his Dad.

It was also about that time that I talked to Jose. He told me that he got afraid of his Dad when he 'drank too much.'

I did something that may have been a little crazy. I told Jose where I hid a key to my apartment. If his Dad got too crazy Jose could go to my place and hide.

I didn't own a lot of stuff in those days. I traveled real light, actually. I wasn't afraid of being robbed.

Jose did take advantage though.

The first time I knew he'd been in my apartment was when I found the empty cookie tray in my cupboard. I didn't care that he ate them.

In fact, I started buying stuff and left a note that said, "Jose's cupboard."

He loved licorice most of all.

I never once exchanged words with Jose's father. There were a lot of nights when the fighting got really bad as I tried to sleep and I'd pound on the floor until it stopped. I can't imagine how Jose felt living in the same three rooms.

I thought of Jose this morning when I read about the poor kid who was being punished for eating candy without asking.

It's a mean world.

I hope Jose is a good man.

(The title of this blog is in honor of my Dad who loved the 'Jose can you see' line.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie