Let the Bashing Commence


Whitney Houston dying makes me really think of college. One college apartment, in particular. You see Fluffy, George and I used to hang around with Lisa, Lorraine and Krissy. We'd always go there with our Bruce tapes or records.

Yeah, tapes and records. No I-tunes. No computers. We typed on regular old typewriters. I can still hear Lisa yelling "Mint!" when she spelled a word wrong and had to use the white-out. You see, the girls used to type for us. Not sure what exactly we added to their lives, but they seemed to like us hanging around telling sad stories of debauchery.

Sometimes we weren't allowed to play straight Bruce.

"Put something else on!" When we were listening, Born in the USA couldn't be changed to the River. They got used to that joke.

So, they'd put on Whitney Houston.

Whitney was so beautiful. Her voice was angelic. We all complained when the switch was made, but I have a confession to make:

Sorry Fluff and George, but I really loved Whitney. (I bet you guys did too).

The woman could sing. A couple of those songs will always be associated with how I felt back then.

(The only thing that sucked was when Lisa and Lorraine would sing along).

Their voices weren't angelic.

It was with great dismay that I read the words Saturday night.

Whitney Houston is Dead.

How can it be?

We all saw the destruction of her life. It played out before us. The stories of drugs, the crazy interviews.

You can't stop such a spiral. People will do what they do no matter how much you love them. No one can give anyone else what they truly need. Life is cruel and lonely that way.

I waited for the jokes on Twitter. The Crack is Whack shit.

It only took about 15 minutes.

I'm sure that it will get a lot worse in the coming days. The tributes will be nice, as all will forget.

Whitney will surely be praised for the talent.

It's too bad we couldn't help her with the rest.

I know there are a couple of old cassettes laying around here somewhere. I secretly bought them once college was over.

RIP Whitney.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie