Taking Stock

So some 20-odd days into 2012.

I'm beat to shit.

Work has been a real bear. One thing after another. People have their agendas and evidently a lot of them involved me. The thing about it is that it may not be different than the work load in the past, but this getting old shit is for the birds.

I often think of my Dad telling me about how enthusiastic he was for every day to start. He put it in only the way that he could.

"I want to be about 90 years old and up on charges for attempted rape," he told me.

He might have done it too if some of that enthusiasm hadn't been stripped.

And for the most part, it's a shot out of the cannon type of experience for me as well. I look forward to working hard. Yet there are a few things I know for sure about 2012.

1). I don't want anything to do with the presidential election. I don't want to know who you're voting for or why. I don't want to know who you think screwed it all up. Let's just agree that it's a mess, it's unlikely to change, and go from there.

2). The Bruce album release and the Yanks start is going to get me going early in the year. No doubt about it. I really don't get sick of liking the exact same things. In fact, I thrive on it. Same hotel, same restaurant every time I travel. Same, same, same. I know the Yanks and Bruce will both be good. Why deviate?

3). The kids are getting bigger and hairier now and they will continue to grow at a maniacal pace. I'm going to sit back right easy and laugh as they make their mistakes as they grow. I do want them to reach adulthood without having me to blame for anything. That's the ultimate goal, right. I don't want them sitting on a couch some day saying, 'My Dad really screwed me up."

The fact that my time is limited before they make moves on their own is a little disconcerting, but I can rest easy knowing that kids don't really get going until they are in their 30's anymore. So they'll be around for awhile.

4). The one goal that I had for 2012 is the same as in recent years- eat right, get healthy...mostly for golf.

Not sure how that one is going. When I travel I eat for shit. The first 20 days are any indication and I may have to trade in golf for sumo.

It gets so much more difficult to drop weight, to get motivated, to eat right. There's a certain #@ck it aspect to it, isn't there?

So that's where we are twenty some days in...plenty of time to re-adjust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie