Humiliated

That poor kicker with the Ravens. He missed a chip shot field goal that would have tied the game. No matter who you were rooting for, you have to feel for the guy.

I guess it goes with the territory, right? You're paid to make 'em and when you miss 'em, people are going to hate you.

About 12 years ago the Bills ate up a hundred million in tax money to re-do the stadium. I was there mostly every day for the construction. As the project came to a close the Bills let the workers line up and try to kick a 35-yard field goal.

There were 50 of us.

We all tried.

My attempt was only 23 yards short. 47 other guys missed too. Check the math: Two guys made it.

I'd be 34 and a half yards short if I tried to kick it now.

Yet the thing about it was that it was certainly embarrassing to miss that kick in front of 49 other guys. They were hooting and hollering as I approached the ball, and laughing and teasing as my kick harmlessly landed on the 20 yard line.

It was about then I decided that perhaps I judged athletes too harshly.

But it's natural. The guy should have made the kick. He flat-out choked. I'm thinking he hasn't got out of bed yet.

But we've all failed. Most of us fail a lot of times every day. We got to get back on our own personal fields and take another kick at it as quickly as we can.

Now, I hesitate to bring this up, but in September 2010 I picked the Green Bay Packers to win it all.

They did.

In September 2011 I picked the New England Patriots.

Two in a row?

If so, I will study and prepare my next year's pick for you.

Send me ten bucks and I'll give you the name of the winning team in the game to be played in February 2013.

God, sometimes I'm insufferable, huh?

Comments

Gag said…
How come no one is talking about the guy who didn't make the catch to win the game for them? He should have grabbed that ball like it was a newborn baby falling from a burning building.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie