The Foxhole

I spent a good deal of the morning listening to Jay Thomas on Friday. He was voicing his theory regarding the military. You see, Thomas doesn't believe in war. He particularly doesn't believe in the last few wars, and he is fond of telling military men not to kill anyone for him, and not to fight for his freedom.

Thomas explains it all by saying that he feels guilty that people are dying for him, and that he doesn't want anyone to make the ultimate sacrifice for his benefit.

I sort of get it.

Now, of course, it is deemed as unpatriotic to say anything about the soldiers, and I don't think that is what Thomas is doing...he just doesn't want it on his conscience. He is unapologetic and unwavering.

Again, it makes sense to me.

But, a 22-year veteran called in and called Thomas an asshole.

Comes with the territory.

Soon enough the discussion swung around to what sort of soldier every man in the room might make.

And this is where Jay and I sort of lined up even more.

We both would've sucked.

You see, there are men's men. They are big, strong, no-nonsense types of guys who can maim or kill on command. They will have your back. They will spring across a minefield to save their squad. They will wear their bravery and their courage on their sleeves. They will stand tall for what they believe is right, and fight, even if it means they may die themselves.

God Bless them, truly!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a total coward. I would fight to the death for my family and friends, and if I honestly believed America were at risk.

I think there are a lot of guys like me.

But I'd ask a lot of questions first.

One time I hit a possum with my car. I came up the hill and he was sitting in the center of the road. I think he was eating something. The sound of my tires crushing his back shook the hell out of me.

I nearly pulled to the side so I could weep. I still think of him every time I pass the spot where his life ended.

And therein lies the argument that Thomas and I will always try and make. Not to be disrespectful of the men and women who give their lives for what they believe in...but it's all real scary, isn't it?

I wish there weren't a question. I wish no one had to kill for freedom.

Does it make me a pussy? (As many of you are thinking).

I don't know.

I do know that I will think of that poor possum tonight.

I hope his family can forgive me.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Honestly, I doubt even the manliest of patriots likes the idea of getting shot and and having mortars and missiles shot at them. But the last time there was a draft, those who got drafted and went, did their duty. I think bootcamp and the first round going over your head makes you into a part of the machine that you will not let your buddies down. The guilty conscience of getting a buddy killed would be a lot worse than a possum.
John said…
The irony is that killing seems to be banned in every way except when the killers have a good reason. Is there a good reason? Those on the killing side think so, those getting killed think not, even an opossum (okay, maybe not but I though it was funny). The crusaders had a reason in the middle ages (stamp out non-Christians), the terrorists have a reason (stamp out non-Muslims. Two sides, two reasons. Too much killing.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie