Buffalo News - March 2001

Looking through old stuff is fun! This is still one of my favorite stories about the old writing career. Should be self-explanatory. The News got the ball rolling by publishing my letter.

Reality of Poverty Revealed During Visit to City Mission

Over the course of the last three months, I have been doing book signings for my book, Desperation. I am donating a portion of the proceeds to the Buffalo City Mission.

The more I learn about the City Mission, and organizations like it, the more that I feel that I have to give something back.

What are we without hope in our hearts? That’s a question I’ve asked myself a number of times since touring the mission while doing research for my book.

For five years, I worked on a story that chronicled a family’s attempt to cheat poverty. I read a number of books on the subject, and fancied myself something of an expert on what it might mean to be poor in a material-driven society.

But in the first half-hour of my tour of the City Mission, I learned more about what was in my heart than I did in the years spent researching the subject of poverty.

The statement of the Buffalo City Mission is to restore hope, dignity and lives. In appearances throughout the community, I’ve asked people if they would be willing to lend a hand in return for grace. Who among us would not throw a line to a drowning man? Would we ask for a financial statement? Would we want to know if his credit is any good?

While walking through the City Mission, I met the head of the food pantry, He shook my hand for all he was worth and he mentioned something about finally turning his life around. He showed me the place with a wave of the hand, saying:

“I’m in charge around here.”

Not knowing exactly what to say, I mentioned that he was doing an excellent job. His chest puffed out, and he shook my hand again. He’d spent 17 days at the mission, and he was going to make it this time.

Since that day, I have chastised myself for not finding out more about the man, and even though I didn’t get his name, suddenly poverty had a face, one with some hope and dignity.

Yet, as I walked around looking at the supplies, it occurred to me that perhaps there was more that could be done. The pantry was only partially filled, and the demand is almost overwhelming. Most people understand that food is a basic need for places like the City Mission, but few give thought to the other staples of everyday life that most of us take for granted.

“We have a shortage of socks and underwear,” said Rod Sargent, my tour guide. “No one donates socks and underwear.”

It’s a thought that has haunted me since. Do you take having a clean pair of shorts for granted? We shame ourselves to watch a man beg for survival, and still, we put on clean socks and underwear every day, and pray that poverty and homelessness will go away.

I stepped out into the bright sunshine of a beautiful fall day. I walked back to my car, got in, shook my head and drove away.

I know now that I have words to soothe me, and not enough time or money to give. But for the Love of God, we all deserve clean socks and underwear. The men on the streets have a name, and they deserve our grace.

For what are we without hope in our hearts?


The article was printed in March, 2001 in April 2001 I received a note from Pastor Daniel Brick – head of St. Albert’s Church in North Tonawanda, NY.

Brick had used my article in a sermon at his church and his parishioners provided him with a sizeable donation to City Mission. The donation consisted of brand new socks and underwear.

(The best part of the whole deal was when my wife said: "They are talking about you in church?")

Words from Brick’s sermon:

“I read a guest editorial in the Buffalo News. It was written by Clifford Fazzolari of Blasdell, NY.

It turns out that Mr. Fazzolari has written a book called Desperation. It is a story that chronicles a family’s attempt to deal with poverty. Clifford is donating a portion of the book’s proceeds to the Buffalo City Mission. His editorial went on from there to say that the more he learned about the City Mission, the more he felt the need to give something back. He asked the rhetorical question: For what are we without hope in our hearts?

Mr. Fazzolari said he thought he was somewhat of an expert on what it meant “to be poor in a material-driven society.” He went on to write, “In my first half-hour tour of the City Mission, I learned more about what was in my heart than I did in the years of researching the subject of poverty.” He writes that the statement of the City Mission is to restore hope, dignity and lives. He asks,”Would we be willing to lend a hand in return for grace? Who among us would not throw a line to a drowning man? Would we ask for a financial statement? Would we want to know if his credit was good?”

He then went on to recount one of his tours through the City Mission. He talked about their food pantry and the fact that it was only partially filled. He says the demand is terrific. Then he wrote, “Most people understand that food is a basic need for places like the City Mission. But few give thought to the other staples of everyday life. The things most of us take for granted.”

“We have shortage of socks and underwear,” said his tour guide. “No one donates socks and underwear.”

Fazzolari says that the thought has haunted him since and me too! He asks the question, “Do we take having a clean pair of shorts for granted?”

Jesus probably meant to say, “Woe to you if you have clean socks and underwear and don’t share them with the poor.”

That is certainly what Fazzolari is thinking.

Well, I know one thing. St. Albert’s Parish has always been responsive. And we are not waiting. We don’t need any woes. We don’t have to wonder. We have a plain cardboard box up here on the altar that says socks and underwear. It can be Jockey, Fruit of the Loom – it doesn’t matter! It will all go to the City Mission.

Fazzolari is right, “What are we without hope in our hearts? We know what Jesus wants – he wants us to give hope. Socks and underwear is our little way."

To conclude the story, Rod Sargent of the mission called me a couple of weeks later to tell me that a truck had pulled up and dropped off two filled barrels of brand new socks and underwear.

That's when a light went on:

My writing could be of benefit!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie