The Long, Hard Winter

The Farmer's Almanac said that it's going to be cold this winter. Actually, that wouldn't be news, would it?

To break down exactly what they meant - 'It's going to suck - bad.'

Yet there is something about the change of seasons that I need as a human being. I have an internal switch that sort of clicks me into a different mindset on September 1st.

I'm limping to the conclusion of the golf season and actually looking forward to the 2-day event that normally ends my year. It's at the end of next week and I can almost see myself putting the clubs away in the back corner of the garage.

The kids are going back to school this week and there's only four dry eyes in the place - they belong to me and the wife. The battles over homework, the fights for earlier nights in bed, the 7 AM races for the front door as the bus waits. Ah, it's wonderful.

And then we'll be in the house. And I'll be looking at the blank computer screen, wondering if the words to something that doesn't seem trite to me will come.

I love a great snowstorm. One where everyone is home safe, and the windows are shaking with the fury of what's going on outside. I love the sounds of the plow and the idea that everything might be postponed tomorrow. I really love it if the Grey Goose supply is okay.

So, the announcement of the cold, hard winter didn't frighten me. Seasons change. The bright blue skies give way to the low-lying clouds, and the storms coming in off the lake.

Lord knows that my mind isn't right. Perhaps a horrible winter blast will shake everything up.

I may not leave the house for anything other than work until about May.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty