The Things That Will Knock You Down...

...you won't even see coming.

One of my favorite weekends of the year is finishing up. Each year I golf with a group of co-workers and friends at a couple of great courses. This year I also brought one of my best buddies along and the weekend certainly didn't disappoint. We shared a few adult beverages, a ton of insults, a steak dinner, and too many golf strokes, but a couple of things happened along the way.

First off, Jeter was about to break the Yankees hit record. At the bar, I was watching the action on my Blackberry as the bar was inexplicably carrying the NASCAR race - of course, the Blackberry is a little behind the action, and as Jeter's 2nd at-bat played out, my cell phone rang - and my 8-year-old son Sam yelled out DEREK JETER!

"What happened?" I asked.
"Line single to right!" Sam said.

And I almost cried right there. Not because Jeter did it (which was a tad emotional, I must admit), but because Sam had hurled himself into a great void in my life - he was playing the part of my brother, by loving me enough to want to get my reaction right then and there.

I finished my talk with Sam and immediately found my buddy - "We need a shot of Jameson's," I said.

We raised the glass and that may have been the start of the downfall of the 2nd thing I didn't see coming that night.

As we walked back to the hotel to finish the night, I was lagging a bit behind the group. Out of the night, one of the guys in our group, deciding that he'd be funny, tossed a rock in my direction.

Judging by the mark on my forehead, 'tossed' might not be the right word.

I know have what looks like a 3rd eye, but the best part of it all came from my wife as I broke the news to her.

"Aren't you getting a little old for that sort of crap?" she asked.

Indeed.

Yet it's real hard to duck if you don't see it coming.

Comments

deafjeff said…
We are men! we're never too old for that crap!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie