Knocked Down Again

I'm thinking of getting a petition together to complain to the God Above about what the hell has been going on - Shadow, my personal shadow, died today. She was a ten-year old black lab and yesterday on the way home from her weekend ride in the car she leaped a good few feet off the bricks and into the driveway - I laughed and commented to the boys that she still acted as though she were a puppy.

Yet time waits for no one...

Shadow came to us after Kathy, Matt and Jake begged me to get her. I was deadset against it, but of course, I relented. A black lab puppy is not to be under-estimated though and she was pure hell on wheels there for awhile - eating the insides out of the couch, crapping everywhere, and chewing up everything left on the floor. She also drove Max absolutely crazy, but slowly and surely, she figured out the rules of the house - and then she followed me from room to room for the next ten years. Shadow was surely my shadow.

As I write this I feel the tears welling in my eyes, but I cry more for the boys, and for Melky - who must feel as if she lost her right paw. If Shadow was my shadow, her shadow was cast on Melky - her ever-present buddy.

Yet I feel Blessed to have had Shadow in my life - and that is what I'm learning - the more I've lost, the more I've gained in the form of becoming a better person.

I wasn't ashamed to sing to Shadow every day of her life - and I swear I kissed that dog ten times a day.

Glad I did.

Love with all of your heart - you never know when you're going to have to recap it all in your mind.

Now does anyone want to sign my petition?

Comments

I'm so sorry Cliffy - sorry for you and Kathy, Matt, Jake and Sam. "Shadow, my shadow...."
Andrea Renee said…
I'm so sorry! We need to get together and combine our petitions into one big one... (((HUGS))))

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie