The Future Is Coming

When you're a kid I suppose that the question you here most is, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?'

The first thirty or so years is all about what you're aspiring to be, and it seems as if there is a moment when you figure out that this is where you are and where you're going to be.

When I was a kid, I wanted to play for the Yankees, of course, but I figured out rather quickly that I was afraid of getting hit with the ball, so I went to the backup plan and considered writing about the team. I sort of stayed right there through the rest of my life. I answered the question about what I wanted to be by saying, 'A Writer.'

It all sort of lined up, I suppose. I do write a lot.

Yet all of this comes to mind because Matt was telling stories the other day. As he sat at the counter shoveling in pizza, he explained that he was going to be the general manager of the Bills or the Sabres, by the time he was twenty-six.

"You'll be sitting in the same chair ten years from now, eating my pizza," I joked.

"I'll be CEO of something by then," Matt answered.

Now I'm not sure what Matt's grand plan is, but I must caution him that the future is coming. I'm now one month shy of my 45th birthday. It seemed like ten minutes ago that I was 16 and dreaming of writing about the Yankees.

"What're you going to be when you grow up?" I asked Jake.

"A drug dealer," he answered.

"A drug dealer?" I asked. "Why would you want to do that?"

"I don't," Jake answered, "but if I do anything more than that, you'll be happy."

Good answer. There's plenty of time ahead when you're just 12 years old.

"How about you?" I asked Sam.

"NBA," he answered. "I'll be dunking the ball in no time."

I have a feeling that in about ten years we're going to have to order three pizzas instead of one because the dinner lineup might just be Kathy, Me, the CEO, the Power Forward and the Drug Dealer.

Comments

Larry L said…
I can’t tell you how much this cracked me up. I see Jake has your since of humor, I can see you telling your dad the same answer. Thanks for allowing me to get to know your family.
Jake can feed Sam the drugs while Matt is the CEO of the team, taking all the money... not far off from reality, eh? Sorry. It's been a shitty day - the Future is Coming is a fitting post for what I've been considering. I guess when I grow up, I too, want to be a writer - for the Yanks... maybe for Sam?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie