I Was Born in a Small Town

I drove from Buffalo to Plattsburgh and back in the past couple of days - I don't recommend the trip. The first time I was there I saw the signs for Vermont and wasn't aware that it was the State of Vermont that I was approaching.

Whatever...mile after mile...lots of time to think and plenty of scenery. New York State is actually quite beautiful, but there are a ton of small towns between here and there.

Most of the towns are set up in the usual way - there's a grocery store, a bar, a funeral parlor, and a gas station - all that is needed for life to thrive and prosper.

In between there are a lot of small, broken-down homes, trailer parks, and cars up on blocks. I often wonder what people who live out there do to pass the time.

I passed Bob's Bait and Tackle with a sign underneath, hand-written, that said - "Great Subs and Pizza."

I didn't stop there for lunch - I imagined one dirty-looking guy handing out bait with one hand and making me a sandwich with the other.

There was so much drifting through my mind - the loss of my dog, the miles that clicked on the odometer, wanting to be home, wondering WTF, and passing time...passing time.

I thought of growing up in a small town and knowing all of my neighbors and the neighbors miles and miles away - knowing everyone in our town.

I passed about fifty signs that told me that Jesus Saves or warned me of the 2nd Coming. I wondered what would make a man paint the side of his barn to warn others of God's Coming Wrath.

I passed a roadside flower memorial that told me of the loss of "Bubba" someone or other. I made the sign of the cross for Bubba and his family.

10 hours after I woke, I was home.

Not a wasted day by any means.

Just another day spent in my own head, and a few hours thinking back about the small town where I was born.

Comments

Gag said…
I would have thought somewhere along the line you would have sang some Mellencamp.
Corleone said…
..........or played a banjo!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie