It Never Fails

Every single time I fly, I come down with a cold. I spent the last couple of days flying to Omaha-freaking-Nebraska and back. Quick, close your eyes and what do you see when you think of Nebraska. Miles of endless nothing?

Well, actually, it isn't quite so bad - I asked a couple of the local guys what they did for fun and they said - "Work." They both said it at the same time. They didn't know anything about the husband-calling contests.

Yet there is steak. Great steak - nothing wrong with that. I said I'd start eating better - made myself a promise - and I sat down with the menu last night.

"We have a 10-ounce cut and a 16-ounce cut," the waitress said. "Most people go with the 10-ounce cut because they can't handle so much food."

When I was done with the 16-ounce, she laughed. "Probably no room for dessert," she said.

I didn't have the heart to tell her I could have handled the 10-ounce and the 16-ounce. It never fails, I always clean my plate.

Waking this morning, I passed by a guy in the hall. We were the only two people in the hallway and we were both on the way to grab a cup of coffee.

"Good morning," I said.

The guy didn't answer.

I walked a few steps in the other direction, turned and said, "I said, GOOD MORNING."

"Good morning to you," he finally replied.

"Great meeting you," I said as I moved away.

This past weekend I spent time with my brothers and sisters and I wondered about why we are all so high-strung. As a family we are the type of people who just can't let a little thing go. We'd have a more carefree life if we didn't sweat the small stuff, but it never fails, we have to say it.

So still working on the new me. I don't have to order the biggest steak. I don't have to embarrass the man who doesn't return a greeting. I don't have to get a cold when I travel. I don't need to right each wrong, or take it all to heart.

I'm working on acceptance. Perhaps it will define the latter part of the year.

More likely, the train will keep on rolling as it always has.

It never fails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie