Hey, Ho! Rock and Roll Deliver Me From Nowhere!

Man, I drive a lot - thousands and thousands of miles per year. I normally can find enough to occupy my time - talking on the phone, texting, playing brickbreaker, eating, reading the paper.

Actually, I don't do those things - I put that in there to let my wife worry.

Most of the time it's the radio that keeps me company. For the long trips Howard Stern and the gang are perfect companions - this week his discussion about the Catholic church recommending that people pray before making love had me in stitches. He was recommending the prayer and the act that should follow it. Those that are offended by Howard - lighten up!

Yet this afternoon, I was sinking fast - Howard was off today, sports radio wasn't saying anything nice about the Yankees even though they are absolutely dominating, (Where are the haters? Awfully quiet!) and evidently some college kid punched another college kid in the jaw after a game last night - so booooring.

I went to the radio - Bruce was on of course, and I can't lie, I listened for a long while - heard Open All Night which provided me with the title line to the blog, but when Born in the USA came on, I actually switched the station - forgive me, Bruce.

I got lucky - Paul Simon's You Can Call Me Al was on and I cranked it.

Great tune - with a number of great lines:

A man walks down the street, he says, 'Why am I soft in the middle now? Why am I soft in the middle when the rest of my life is so hard?

And:

A man walks down the street, he says, 'Why am I short of attention, got a short little span of attention, and wo my nights are so long.'


I was singing so loud that I was sure the people in the car beside me heard me even though everyone's windows were up.

The next couple hundred miles flew by as I ripped out the Paul Simon Greatest Hits and listened to every song.

Answer me one question:

Why do people know more about Kelly Clarkson, or Clay Aiken, or Reuben Stoddard than Paul Simon?

Me and Julio Down By the School Yard.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Well I’m on my way
I don’t know where I’m going
I’m on my way I’m taking my time!
Now I got it stuck in my head! It's all right though, great tune! Rosie queen of corona!
I listened to Paul Simon's greatest hits yesterday too. Weird. Some great music there - great lines, and always a line that makes you laugh.
yes, I am the queen (rather the King) of Corona.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie